Random observations on the recent explosion of excellent recordings I always should expect but never do and grouse about the paucity of then look dim-witted as a result of my shitty memory:
- You may think I’m a little nuts by including so many box sets, but they really are that good and I have been listening to them. Is sitting around listening to box set really a pop thang? Should I even care? Somebody’s gotta do it.
- The Puerto Rican saxophonist Miguel Zenon is having a great year. He’s on two records here (Law Years and Path of Seven Colors) and his duet album of boleros with Luis Perdomo is stunning but I need to listen to it one more time.
- I have moved many items around, but I finally hooked right into AUM Grand Ensemble & Ensemble O’s interpretation of Julius Eastman’s Femenine. Eastman’s having a MUCH-deserved revisiting and several interpretations of this piece are out there, but none this hypnotic and beautiful.
- How much mileage does SAULT get out of mystique?
- I’ll have some of what Loretty’s having, please.
- I’m sorry, I just don’t fucking trust Lana Del Rey and I really despise Olivia Rodrigo’s single, but the sonics and words of the former’s album (I’m just blocking out her persona) and the rest of the latter’s songs (for the most part) have broken my resistance. For now.
- That Screamers excavation is the first new record I have surprised my wife Nicole with that we both instantly jumped up and down joyfully to. Myself, I’d really mostly only read about them in West Coast punk tomes, but after a 40-year-burial this item really explodes out of the vault.
- Is it fair to list Record Store Day releases on these lists? I admit I just lie in wait with my bobber floating in eBay Lake, and I assume anyone else can as well.
- If you’re needing a guitar-helping and moping ’cause you can locate one, I urge you to dip into the Moctar, Arby, and Young items in the Top 10. Seriously.
- SUPPORT FIRE IN LITTLE AFRICA’S PROJECT. It’s worthy.
BOLDED ITEMS ARE NEW TO THE LIST.
AUM Grand Ensemble x Ensemble 0: Performs Julius Eastman’s Femenine
AFTERNOTE (is that a word?):
Top 10 Artists I’ve Been Listening to Over the Last 72 hours / A Nod to Will Friedwald
Carmen McRae (I’m pretty much always listening to–at the very least hearing in my head–Lady McRae)
Anita O’Day (I’m pretty much always listening to–at the very least hearing in my head–Lady O’Day)
Moody Marilyn Moore
Cliff “Ukelele Ike” Edwards
Earl Coleman–LOTS of Earl Coleman
STREAM ‘EM IF YOU GOT ‘EM….